As we continue through this week, in our weekly quest of #4mins4Him, we are looking towards the practical ways of spending intentional and quality time with God.
Now for different people, this can absolutely mean different things so before I start a list that says “if you do all of these things, you will be closer to Christ,” let me just say that is wrong to assume that. I merely want to push you into finding Christ in ways you never knew in the hopes that He stays with you throughout your day.
“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus,giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:17
So here is a list (yay, you don’t have to read hard long paragraphs) of random, weird, but most importantly practical things you can do to seek God daily, because that is Exactly what He wants.
Ways to Spend 4 minutes for Him
A list by TK (with help from Kelly Strickland)
1. Set your phone’s lock screen to a Bible verse that you would like to memorize. Girls, there is a site with free backgrounds at shereadstruth.com Guys, a quick google search can also do the same thing.
2. Start your day with God. Wake up a tad bit earlier than you normally would and spend this time in prayer. Even 10 minutes, when compounded over time would be such an awesome thing!
“But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” – Matthew 6:33
3. If you are in your car driving (or in your car with your parents) turn off the music and use that time to pray.
4. Develop a consistent plan for regular time with God.
- Keep a prayer journal
- Find a really cool reading plan in a topic that both interests you and you feel you can grow from. If you have the Bible app, I suggest finding one from their massive list of free devotional plans.
5. If at any point you become amazed with something Jesus does, begin a round of applause for Him. No, that wasn’t a figurative statement. Literally, start clapping for Jesus. You’d be amazed how it makes you feel.
6. Get a whiteboard marker (or 7) and write scripture that encourages you on your bathroom mirror. This way you can begin and end your day in God’s Word, even if it is brief.
7. Be grateful for your life. Find joy in the simplest of things. “Lord, thank you for that delicious salisbury steak I ate for school lunch today, you are so good!” Seriously, the cheesier the better because you will begin to realize just how blessed your life really is and how many things you take for granted.
8. Realize that everything on this list begins with your heart. It starts with you declaring that God is your redeemer and only through Him can you find eternal joy. Only through His blood and sacrifice are we able to live life free from sin. Not free of sin though, and that’s precisely why we need Him.
9. Hear sirens? See an ambulance rushing by? Pray not only for those affected by whatever incident has occurred,but pray for the families, pray for those who are working in the ambulance.
10. Pray for something crazy. Sometimes we are always telling ourselves that the things we want are not possible. Stop that right now and give it to God.
“Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:5
(Also keep in mind with that verse, it’s not saying we can have whatever we want whenever we want it. It is saying that if we first delight ourself in the Lord, then our wants will become His wants and therefore we will have all we desire.)
So yeah, I’m going to leave this list at 10. There are so so many things that could be done to find time for God in our day this is literally the tip of the iceberg.
What do you do to find time for God? (I know we don’t ask questions much here on the blog, but I know this online community could use some love, just like we get at the Well on Wednesday nights so don’t be shy!) Comment below and tell us how you spend time with Him, even when it seems you have no extra time.
No answer is silly or dumb, because different things work for different people. Share with us below!!