For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure of working in a group for a project, let me tell you about them for a minute.
Great, now that I have everyone acquainted with group projects let me tell you why they are important (even though, for most of you it will be the bane of your college existence).
Groups are community. Community is essential in our lives. Our lives are living examples of Christ’s love so by the transitive property, Christ’s love should be shown in groups… make sense? Yeah, I don’t get it either.
But God tells us that when we accept Him into our lives, we become a part of something much greater than ourselves.
“So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God.” Ephesians 2:19
We are in the household of God. We have brothers and sisters in Christ that we can live our lives with… but what do we do for each other?
- We pray for each other.
- Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. James 5:16
- We encourage each other.
- And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. 1 Thess. 5:16
- We advise each other.
- Not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. Hebrews 10:25
- We forgive one another.
- Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32
- We carry each other’s burdens.
- Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2
These are just a few examples, but the point God is trying to make USING THE WHOLE BIBLE is this: Love one another, just as Christ loved us.
We will sin, we will fail, we will hide our wrongdoings and we will burden each other with things that aren’t heavenly… but having community is still the most essential thing you can possess on this earth.
Accountability brings resistance to the Devil and his lies. Together with Christ, we have power over sin from that we will shout the Glory of God from the highest mountaintops.
Praise be to God!
So, at the end of this shorter than normal post I’ll say this: group projects really stink, but they offer us a chance to practice Christian community so we (I) need to suck it up.
Dear Lord, help us find and recognize how good community is in You.
Through You we can find peace and comfort, but also having this tangible Christian community will keep us focused on You no matter the trials or tribulations that plague our day. Lord, help us to focus on You. Help us to encourage others, to pray for others, to love others. We love You God, Amen.